The distinctive hairless features of a Sphynx cat can leave people stunned in awe and wonderment. There might be questions raised about this strikingly unique feline popping inside your head. We have listed 6 most asked questions and their answers about Sphynx cats to help sate your curiosity relating to this amazing breed.
1. How long does a Sphynx cat live?
The average lifespan of a Sphynx cat is between ten to fifteen years. However, there are several factors that can affect a Sphynx’s lifespan. These include the feline’s genetics, health, diet, and environment. If you are planning to get a Sphynx cat, here are a few handy tips to help it live a longer life:
- Don’t skip out on visiting the vet for regular check-ups. The vet plays a huge role in monitoring the cat’s condition and spotting any signs of possible health problems.
- Keep it indoors. It will lessen its exposure to the dangers the outdoors pose. If the Sphynx cat is left unsupervised outdoors, it is at risk of contracting diseases from insects and other animals or ingesting toxic substances from plants and garbage bins.
- Make sure that it has taken the necessary vaccinations and parasitic control. This will reduce the risk of catching diseases.
2. How much does it cost to own a Sphynx cat?
According to the Pets Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA), the average Sphynx cat price is approximately £550. The estimated cost over a lifetime, if you decided to take in a Sphynx cat, is about £16,900. Taking care of a Sphynx can be challenging. There are a number of things you need to think about before becoming a cat parent. Make sure to think things over before fully committing yourself.
3. What is a Sphynx cat personality like?
Some people might be taken aback once they see the distinctive features of a Sphynx cat. Despite its looks, this feline easily becomes attached towards its owner. It has a friendly and laid-back nature, which makes a Sphynx cat a perfect feline companion.
In fact, the Sphynx cat breed came in first place during a 2012 study that ranked 129 cats from 14 cats breeds based on their friendliness. This cat breed also earned the moniker Velcro cat because of its notorious tendency to stick close to its human companions or simply being a lap cat. Sphynx cats even resort to doing funny and clumsy antics to get the attention of their owners.
4. How do you clean a Sphynx’s ears?
Since fur does not grow on a Sphynx’s ears, it is crucial to clean its ears to prevent the possibility of ear canal blockage. For aspiring Sphynx parents, routine ear cleaning is essential.
5. Does a Sphynx cat like water?
A Sphynx cat’s affinity for water depends on how it was raised. Because of its lack of fur, it needs to be bathed more regularly to remove the oil on its skin.
Most of Sphynx cats are generally exposed to water at an early age. This makes them grow accustomed to the water and at the same time desensitising them to the foreign feeling of the water. Thus, early water exposure helps them to enjoy bath time.
6. Why does a Sphynx meow so much?
The Sphynx cat breed is considered one of the most vocal cat breeds. They are highly sociable felines that love to be in the company of people. Plus, Sphynx cats are also known to be very affectionate towards their human companions. It is only natural for these felines to attempt to communicate with humans through constant meowing, purring, and even chirping.