Sweet spring season begins in the month of March, which can be a perilous period to your dog. A dog wandering around the flowers in your garden is at risk of the black and yellow insects. The bees and wasps can be anywhere idling in the grass. And if that insect holds the interest of your furball, he will most likely chase it around. That being said, bee sting in dogs is a common occurrence. A collection of pictures of pooches with swollen noses and jowls that still managed to look adorable is a solid proof of this.
Can a bee sting harm a dog? Read on to learn more, including suggested solutions and treatments.
How to tell if your dog got stung by a bee
What are the symptoms of a bee sting on a dog? What usually happens is a bee sting on the paws resulting in a limping dog. In general, the following are telling signs that your canine was stung by a bee:
- Whimpering in pain and would most likely try to hide somewhere
- Running in circles
- Noticeable increase of salivation
As for mild cases:
- Swelling in a certain area
- Chewing at the stung area
- Bumps all over the body
As for severe cases, it is important to bring your dog to the vet upon seeing the following signs:
- Extreme swelling of the certain area, such as in the face, neck, or throat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Urticaria or an allergic reaction that appears like a rash and is awfully itchy
- Pale gums
How do you treat a bee sting on a dog?
The dog bee sting recovery time depends if you were able to immediately attend to its treatments. As such, be attentive on your walks, especially during spring, to be able to recognise if your dog was stung or not.
- Identify the insect Quickly examine and see what insect is lingering on the area. However, there are cases when you would not know whether it was a bee or a wasp sting. The best way to do is to prepare cold water and bathe the stung area for about fifteen minutes. You may also use an ice pack and put it on the itchy spot; this is to reduce the risk of swelling and itchiness.For stings that are caused by a bee, you may use bicarbonate of soda and apply it to the affected area, whilst for wasp sting, use vinegar.
- Look for the stinger If the insect that stung your canine is a bee, it will surely leave stingers on its victim. These abandoned stingers should be pulled immediately as it would continue to secrete venom, which will be injected into the body.Tip: Removing the stinger immediately after the incident will lessen the amount of venom injected.
Remove it by using a sharp plastic or a credit card to scrape it off. Avoid squeezing the certain spot as it may press the venom out from the stinger sac as well.
- Prevent your dog from scratching Use a head cone to stop your pooch from licking or scratching the wound. Constant contact will delay healing and may develop infection.
- Ease allergic reactions Let your dog take a dose of medicine that will counter allergic reactions and decrease itching. Medication may include antihistamine or Piriton. Consult your veterinarian for the proper dosage of the medicine.
What is anaphylaxis in dogs?
Bee sting in dogs may be treated, but for dogs with anaphylaxis, they may be unlucky. Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction of being hypersensitive to a foreign substance, which includes foreign protein called allergen or antigen.
How does it occur?
The first time a dog is stung by a bee, it undergoes a short-term localised reaction. The localised reaction is also called the humoral response causing the redness and swelling that we see in the bitten area. As such, the dog becomes sensitised to the bee’s toxin. When it occurs the second time, the sensitised mass cells will be able to recognise the bee’s toxin resulting in the release of its toxin. This process is called degranulation and activation. Mild cases result to extreme swelling and should have immediate treatment as it could develop to a severe condition.
Anaphylaxis signs in dogs
- Red skin swelling
- Hives or skin bumps
- Swollen face or muzzle
- Excessive salivation
- Tongue and gums appear bluish in colour
- Difficulty in breathing
Tips on preventing bee sting in dogs
- Avoid exposing your canine to areas that are known to be the home of the bees, such as flower beds and eaves.
- Monitor the surroundings of your house for early detection as to where the nests could be.
- Consider ‘bee proofing’ your dog’s environment.
- Be prepared.