A British pet insurance company has revealed that 8% of cats and dogs have ingested plants toxic to them. Half of them have become ill and needed to be taken to the vet, whilst 15% died. Further, 1 in 3 pet owners does not know whether the plants in their home are poisonous plants for pets.
We’ve put together a list of the common garden plants that are harmful to dogs and cats.
Flowers That Are Poisonous to Pets
According to the British Veterinary Association, 43% of other poisoning cases handled by vets involved lily ingestion. It is one of the most commonly ingested plants poisonous to cats and dogs. Just a mere brush of pollen can lead to fatal consequences.
There are many varieties of lilies. The ones that you should be particularly cautious of are the Asiatic, Easter, tiger, stargazer, peace, and Japanese lilies. The lily of the valley is also dangerous to pets. The calla lily, amaryllis, palm lily, and autumn crocus are especially harmful to dogs.
The bulb is especially poisonous as it contains more toxins. If you have a pooch that likes to dig, you need to keep him away from such flowering bulbs. This is especially important during spring and autumn when tulip bulbs are readied for planting.
As with the tulip, the bulb is the part that is most toxic. This flower can induce vomiting, diarrhoea, heart problems, immoderate salivation, and tremors.
This type of rhododendron is also dangerous to other animals, such as goats, horses, and sheep. It can trigger stomach pain, convulsions, abnormal heartbeat, limb paralysis, and even coma.
Its alkaloid content makes this flowering plant toxic to both dogs and cats. It can trigger diarrhoea, severe vomiting, tremors, and even depression. The bulbs are especially toxic.
- Never Feed These 8 Poisonous Food for Cats
- Dog Depression: How to Know and What You Can Do to Help Your Pet
Although not all daisies are poisonous to pets, chrysanthemums are toxic to furry friends at home. They can cause dermatitis, vomiting, loss of coordination, excessive salivation, and diarrhoea.
The petals and the leaves have cyanide, which is known as a poison. This substance is released upon chewing and takes effect after twenty minutes. It can induce diarrhoea, vomiting, and depression.
Ornamental Plants That Are Harmful to Pets
Variants include English Ivy, California ivy, glacier ivy, branching ivy, needlepoint ivy, and sweetheart ivy. The leaves are more poisonous than the berries due to the saponin content. Once eaten, pets may experience stomach pain, diarrhoea, vomiting, and hypersalivation.
9. Castor Bean
This is the same plant used to extract castor oil, which is safe for human use. However, its ricin content makes it very poisonous to animals. Ricin is a powerful toxin, and chewing on this plant can burn a pet’s throat. Symptoms include excessive thirst, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, weakness, and vomiting. Eating just an ounce of the seeds can be fatal. Tiny amounts can trigger tremors, twitching, seizures, and even coma.
We included this decorative plant on the list as it is a popular addition to many homes. Ingesting this plant can lead to irritation of the tongue and lips, hypersalivation, difficulty in swallowing, and vomiting.
11. Sago Palm
All parts of this ornamental plant are harmful to your dog or cat because of the toxin cycasin. The nuts, however, are the most toxic. Despite this, pets tend to find this plant tasty, so beware. When eaten, pets may feel dehydrated, vomit, and develop bruises or yellowing of the skin. Other symptoms include liver damage, gastrointestinal issues, and a bloody stool. Ingestion can also lead to a fatal end.
Although this pretty plant may not kill your pets, it can cause mouth irritation, mild vomiting, diarrhoea, and in advanced cases, cardiac issues.
13. Some Succulents
The jade plant (jade tree, friendship tree, baby jade, Chinese rubber plant, dwarf rubber plant, or Japanese rubber plant) is not safe for pets. Nibbling on this plant can trigger loss of coordination, depression, and in rare cases, a slow heart rate.
The aloe vera’s skin is toxic to pets. It can cause diarrhoea, tremors, and vomiting. However, the gel within is very good for skin treatments for both humans and animals.
Other dangerous succulents include the kalanchoe, panda plant, and snake plant. The succulents that are safe for dogs and cats are the burro’s tail, hens and chicks, Christmas cactus, and the ponytail palm.
Treating Plant Poisoning in Pets
Prevention is the best cure. However, when your pet ingests a harmful plant, you need to identify which one it is. You also need to determine how much was eaten. This will help your vet identify the right treatment.
If you suspect that your cat or dog had ingested any of the plants mentioned, you may induce vomiting as first aid. This is if the plant eaten is a daffodil, ivy, tulip, or lily. You can feed your pet a little food to delay the absorption of the poison. Then give a 3% hydrogen or syrup of ipecac using a needleless syringe or eye dropper to induce vomiting.
You should never make your pet vomit if he ate an azalea or a snake plant. If you are unable to trigger vomiting, you must bring your pet to the vet immediately.
Did you find this post helpful? View more pet care tips and share with other pet parents you know!