Like most hybrids with parents that differ in size and looks, predicting the overall appearance and adult size of the Labradoodle is quite difficult. In fact, puppies in one litter could look totally different also based on colours and coat quality.
Doodles can be small, medium or large in size, often divided into three sizes:
- Miniature: average size of 36 to 40 centimetres and 15 to 24 pounds
- Medium: average size of 43 to 50 centimetres and 29 to 40 pounds
- Standard: average size of 53 to 61 centimetres and 48 to 64 pounds
All three sizes are generally well-balanced dogs with an athletic look. They usually exude a graceful appearance as well thanks to their soft coat, which can either be any of the following textures:
- The fleece coat, which tends to be long and can be straight or wavy. This type is low shedding and often described as an Angora coat texture that is silky.
- The wool coat, which is made up of tight curls, taking after the Poodle. This type is virtually non-shedding and hypoallergenic.
- The hair coat, which is the least popular and often seen in first-generation Labradoodles. It takes after the Labrador Retriever so it sheds profusely all year round.
Doodles usually come in black, red, blue, silver, caramel, chalk, chocolate, café, cream, lavender, parchment, apricot/gold, and apricot/cream. How much grooming your dog will require depends on the length and texture of the coat. Labradoodles usually only require brushing one or twice a week. Others will need to be professionally trimmed or clipped especially those with fleece coats. Bathing can be done as needed.